Monday, February 21, 2011

Last Words

Second Timothy was the final letter written by Paul sometime between A.D. 64-68 as he waited in a Roman jail for execution. Timothy was a young pastor and this letter was written to encourage and instruct him in his pastoral ministry but there are words to each follower of Jesus Christ. Paul's faithfulness to his calling and strength in the Lord through his ordeal are inspiring.

"...fan into flame the gift of God..." (1:6) Each believer is gifted by God and we should use that gift, in the church especially, for His glory.

"...for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." (1:7) Most of us seem to have more fear about sharing our faith than anything else; shouldn't be that way.

"But I am not ashamed for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that He is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to [my deposit]." (1:12) Never be ashamed to speak the name of Jesus.

"Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead...for which I am suffering, bound with chains as a  criminal. But the word of God is not bound! Therefore, I endure..." (2:8-10) God's word can not be stopped by men.

"Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted." (3:12) Probably won't be chains and imprisonment in my lifetime, not in America, but you never know what is on the horizon. Persecution here is often more subtle - someone looks for ways you screw up and calls you a hypocrite (behind your back) or makes fun of you as weak or stupid (behind your back) or asks unanswerable questions about God to prove what you don't know.

"All scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work." (3:16-17) God's word has answers for all of life.

"For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." (4:6-7) As we approach death, this should be our testimony as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment