Sunday, May 10, 2009

How Can You Not Know

Last Thursday I stopped by Miyako's to see Jeremy for a little while. As I sat at the bar, a nice looking young business man (button up shirt, tie) sat down. After a few minutes he asked Jeremy is this your mother. When I said yes, he introduced himself.

Seems he was Andrew, a guy Jeremy went to public school with and who also grew up in the youth program at FBC. Andrew's mom and I were in the same Sunday school class for many years. We had a really long conversation and some of the things he said made me shake my head.

I brought the conversation around to church and beliefs and listened to him talk about getting into heaven by being good. I wanted to shout at him and ask had he never listened all those years he was in church. I know he heard over and over about Jesus. Yet here was this young, successful man telling me heaven was for good people.

He does feel a void in his life and knows that he should be seeking a church so of course I invited him to NewSpring. I will pray for him to come and to meet Jesus head on. But what amazed me most is how he could not know Jesus is the reason you go to heaven - not being good or bad. Maybe he DOES know but was hesitant to speak Jesus' name. That even happens with active Christ followers.

No comments:

Post a Comment