Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Shack

I've just reread The Shack for the 4th time. I know this book is fiction but every time I read it God just overwhelms me with His love for me and how much He wants to have a deep personal relationship with me.

I particularly like the part that speaks of living in the present with God; that the past is done and the future I imagine, especially if I am in a state of fear or worry, often doesn't allow for God to be in it. The character Mack asks Jesus "Why do I have so much fear in my life?" Jesus says, "Because you don't believe." He goes on to tell how he doesn't believe God truly loves him.

In this story Mack is told over and over that it is not about religion or rules but relationship. The day by day relationship is what is important, not trying to figure out every think that is going to happen. And believing in God's love, His goodness, even when bad things happen.

Toward the end of the book, there is a need for Mack to forgive and ask forgiveness from his father who beat him and whom Mack poisoned, and to forgive the man who murdered Mack's little girl because Mack is really the one in bondage by not forgiving. I know that has been true in my own life. My harboring of anger or hatred doesn't hurt anyone but me!

This book always brings tears streaming down my face - not because of the pain and loss Mack experienced but because of the unending love of God to bring healing into Mack's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment