Thursday, May 7, 2009

Joy Does Not Equal Happiness

One of the things that I find most satisfying about being a follower of Christ is the deep down joy of living. Too many times people want to be happy but happy is based on circumstance - joy is based on a relationship with Jesus.

Joy is that inner dimension that KNOWS that God loves me, that my future is in His hands, that He watches over me, that He wants only HIS best for me. That last one is the rub sometimes - and the difference between joy and happiness. His best is not always the same as what I think is best. I can be unhappy over a circumstance, a job situation, a health issue, family tensions but I can still be filled with the joy of knowing God.

To me this is one of the hardest concepts to explain to non-believers. We tie so much of who we are into our stuff and our position that when those are lost, we are in despair. I guess the biggest issue comes from people who don't understand that this life is NOT all there is. But the abundant life that comes from Jesus begins the moment I ask Him to be my Lord and Savior. Our problem as Americans is that we equate abundance with lots of shiny stuff when actually the abundance of God is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Sure, it can mean stuff and "success" too but those things are fleeting. Real abundance is a heart attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment