Sunday, March 20, 2011

21 Day Bible Reading Plan

Today at NewSpring in the Upgrade series Perry talked about how to be successful in life: I must read the Bible and do what it says. God is not after my behavior, He is after my heart.

Perry talked about the Bible being useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training. He talked about growing up and feeding ourselves and owning our relationship with God and not depending on his, Perry's, relationship or a parent's or friend's. He talked about Solomon and how not reading the Bible and not doing what God said caused Solomon's life to end badly.

After Perry went through this message, he challenged every member to start reading his Bible and provided a 21 Bible Reading Plan.

I read my Bible but always want to participate in whatever Perry asks the church to do.

So: Day 1
John 1: I have always loved verses 1-14. I am always blown away by "the Word became flesh..." To think that the creative Word that spoke everything into existence actually became clothed in flesh is more than I can comprehend. But today as I read this chapter I was reminded that the writer John, the Apostle, was an eyewitness to the things he wrote about. In verse 14, speaking of Jesus he says, "...we have seen His glory, glory as the only Son from the Father..." And in verse 32 he quotes John the baptizer who said "I saw the Spirit descend from heaven..." and in verse 34, "And I have seen..."

The Bible is inerrant because of God's authorship. Even if that seems difficult to understand the fact that these are eyewitness accounts should make the Bible trustworthy to anyone.

Mark 1: "And He would not permit the demons to speak, because they knew Him." (verse 34b) In James 2:19 we read that the demons believe - and shudder! The demons know exactly who Jesus is and where He came from and how much authority He has. This made me think about the difference between intellectual belief and saving faith which means that I actually do what Jesus tells me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment