Friday, March 4, 2011

Gratitude

I don't much care for winter. I don't really like cold, windy, gray days which characterize many winter days around here. There have been all kinds of studies indicating that lack of sunlight negatively affects our moods. This year in upstate South Carolina, winter began very early. We even had a white Christmas which hasn't happened in our area since 1963. It has been a winter to remember - as cold, blustery and snowy.

So when Spring came early I was so excited. I've had 4 or 5 days over the last few weeks with heat turned off and windows open. WooHoo!! I do like the sunshine and warm (and I think God put me in the South for that reason) so it is very easy for me to have a heart full of gratitude toward God for the beautiful days, blue skies, warm sun, gentle breezes. Temperatures have been running 10 to 20 degrees above normal. That always elicits at "THANK YOU!" from me.

Today is a different story. Actually it is a "typical" March day - 55 degrees, gray skies, moderate wind, the threat of rain for the weekend. When I got up this morning, I though bah-humbug. But God just got all in my case and helped me to realize that "this is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalm 118:24)

God allowed me to wake up this morning because He is not finished with me yet. That is reason to be grateful.
God provides the rain to refresh the ground and fill the reservoirs. That is reason to be grateful.
The sun is shining even if I can't see it. That is reason to be grateful.
The temperatures will be miserably hot in July and August. That is reason to be grateful for cool today.

If I let Him guide me, God will always give me reasons to be grateful no matter what my circumstances.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, we have to learn to count our blessing and so true, we are here on earth, because God is still perfecting that which concerns our lives. Great post.

    ReplyDelete