Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 4 - 21 Day Bible Reading Plan

John 4:

"And [Jesus] had to pass through Samaria." (v.4) Well, by man's thinking, Jesus did NOT have to pass through Samaria. It was probably the shortest route but Jews did not go through Samaria and did not spend time with Samaritans and did not talk in public to women of any race or nationality. But Jesus did because His salvation is not exclusive but inclusive...God so loved THE WORLD that He gave His one and only Son (3:16)

But that is a little off course from what I was thinking when I read verse 4 this morning. Just as Jesus HAD to go through Samaria because it was part of God's plan to reach the world, there are times when I HAVE to go through a loss or hardship or struggle to keep me centered on God. The hardships of life are meant to send me to my knees so that I can see "...all things work together for good..." and I  can "be conformed to the image of His Son..." (Romans 8:28-29) I don't want to experience any of the bad stuff of life but without it I might never develop a deep and abiding relationship with my Father.

Mark 4:

"And they were filled with great fear and said to one another, 'Who then is this, that even wind and sea obey Him?'" (v.41) The men in the boat with Jesus had been chosen specifically to be His closest companions. They had seen Him heal people of all sorts of diseases and cast out demons and had listened to His teaching but they did not yet understand who Jesus really is. So when the storm came up suddenly and the boat was filling with water, they were afraid although Jesus was right there in the boat with them.

When they called on Jesus for help, He "rebuked the wind and said to the sea, 'Peace! Be still!'" (v.39) That 's the same thing He says to me when I am afraid my life is about to sink. This man Jesus, God with flesh, Creator of the wind and the sea, Creator of humanity, has the power to save me from any situation. Will He always do it? Maybe not. But He will always be in the boat with me as I ride through the storm so I never have to be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment