Saturday, March 19, 2011

Cease Striving

"Cease striving, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations; I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10 (NASB)

In most translations this verse reads "Be still, and know that I am God..."

Both of these speak to me. Being still speaks to me of shutting off the TV, the computer, the noise of life to take time to know God. Not know Him in a cursory or intellectual way but to know Him personally. That doesn't happen if life is too noisy to hear God whisper to me.

But here is where the "cease striving" speaks to me. I need to stop trying to do everything myself - my own dreams and plans, my own energy, my own capabilities. Sure God gives me energy and capabilities but these should always be brought into submission to God. I need to learn more about waiting on God - to cease striving.

Waiting on God is active. I don't just sit and twiddle my thumbs and do nothing. It means spending time in God's word, praying and continuing to do what He has me doing now. I do not forge ahead with what I want to do until I am sure it is what God wants me to do. As I wait, as I cease striving, I have the opportunity to really know God and His plans for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment