Friday, March 25, 2011

Day 6 - 21 Day Bible Reading Plan

John 6:

"After this many of His disciples turned back and no longer walked with Him." (v.66) Jesus had just finished explaining that He is the bread of life and that anyone who "feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in Me, and I in him:" (v.56)

Many of Jesus' followers found this too difficult to understand. When the going got tough - or confusing - many decided He wasn't the Rabbi they wanted to study under any longer. Many of them were only following Him because He had fed them (v.26) not because they actually believed Him to be sent by God.

How like many today who only want to follow Jesus so they can get something from Him - a better job, a new house, a spouse, money, health - with no thought of surrendering their lives or their job, house, spouse, money, health to Jesus. So when things don't turn out like they hoped, or the going gets tough or confusing, they walk away.

The disciples did not learn what Jesus meant in verse 56 until He was with the twelve at the last supper. (Luke 22:14-20) Even if we don't understand completely, our response to Jesus should be the same as Simon Peter: "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God." (v.67-69)

Mark 6:

"And [Jesus] marveled at their unbelief." (v.6) The people of Jesus hometown "took offense at Him" (v.2-3) because they "knew" Him. They questioned His wisdom; He was the carpenter; they knew His mother and brothers.

I pray my life would be not be characterized by unbelief. There have been times when I questioned the future, when I questioned God's provision. When new situations, new struggles arise in my life, it is easy to not trust Jesus to take care of it. I have learned when those do come up to immerse myself in God's word and to pray until I really, really, really believe that God is who He says He is and He will do what He says He will do. He has ALWAYS proved faithful in my life for every situation I have faced and He will prove faithful in the next situation too.

No comments:

Post a Comment