Friday, July 15, 2011

Choices

The choices we make today can have tremendous impact on our lives way down the road. No one knows this better than me. The problem with my choices long years ago is that most of them were wrong. In some ways I am still seeing the consequences of those choices as is my adult son.

Too often I thought only about me - what I wanted, what I needed, what would make me happy - without any thought of how those things might impact me or my child. He walked a lot of the same paths I did much to my horror. I remember once his telling me, in the midst of an argument about his choices, something like I had had my fun so I shouldn't try to keep him from having his. Of course the fun, and it was for a time, was destructive in so many ways.

Lot, Abram's nephew, made choices that impacted his life in serious ways. When he and Abram got too rich, with herds too big to keep together, Abram told Lot to choose first where he would settle and Abram would go the other direction. So Lot chose to pitch his tents near Sodom. He made this choice for selfish reason - it was more fertile than the other land. He wanted the best for himself.

Not long after, though, the Kings of the area waged war and Lot and his family and all his stuff were carried off as spoils of war. Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. And he was there because of a selfish choice. But Uncle Abram came to the rescue. Of course this wasn't the last time bad things would happen to Lot because of his choice to live near Sodom.

In my life, in my family, I am praying for God to break the curse of bad choices, to break the curse of a rebellious spirit, so that my grandchildren can walk close to God all their lives. Nate is making a great start, thanks to his small group leaders at FUSE and to Perry's teaching on Sunday mornings and our time to talk as we travel back and forth. Bella is also learning to love Jesus in KidSpring. She is memorizing scripture and learning Bible stories and how to apply them in her life.

My choice to follow God's leading to NewSpring has had so many good consequences I can hardly contain my joy and my gratitude to God that He would continue to lead me to HIS paths. His love overwhelms me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment