Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Respect

One of the things that bothers me about some Christians is there lack of respect for people who are not believers in Jesus Christ. Sometimes they ignore non-believers. Sometimes they are rude. Sometimes they make fun. Sometimes they argue. I believe my best friends should NOT be unbelievers (2 Corinthians 6:14) but I certainly believe relationships should be built so there is opportunity to share the gospel. (Acts 1:8) There is no reason for me to be friends with unbelievers if I don't plan to tell them about Jesus at some point. But the command from Jesus is clear that I must be His witness.

I like Paul's approach. In Acts we see several accounts of him going to the synagogue and REASONING with the Jews. He goes to Athens and although "his spirit was provoked within him as he saw that the city was full of idols", he addresses the people with respect and talks about their idols and especially the one "to the unknown god". He tells them he knows this one they call unknown and proceeds to tell them about the Creator and ends with Jesus. He even quotes one of their poets. (Acts 17:17-31) Some of the people believed but most did not. However, Paul left the gathering with opportunity to speak again.

Paul did get angry at times, especially with the Jews because they refused to believe. But the most important thing to Paul was telling the people about Jesus. When Paul went to Ephesus, he spoke in the synagogue for three months until the Jews began to "speak evil of the Way". Then Paul left the synagogue for another place and continued to preach for two years so that "all the residents of Asia heard the word of the Lord, both Jews and Greeks". (Acts 19:8-10)

I don't ever want to forget that I was once an unbeliever. I was once on the path to hell. I was once ignorant of the saving grace of Jesus Christ. I don't want to forget what it was like - the fear, the emptiness, the uncertainty of the future. Help me, Jesus, to always remember you died for the world! Your grace is sufficient for the vilest of sinners like me! Give me opportunity - and boldness - to share Your love and Your grace with a hurting, dying world.

No comments:

Post a Comment