Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Next Verse

Sometimes when I read my Bible I come across a very familiar verse. Perhaps I have it underlined or maybe I have even memorized it. It is a verse full of truth that I should not ever forget. But then I read the next verse and think, have I ever read that before?

That happened to me tonight as I was reading Hebrews 4:12, "For the word of God is living and active, sharper then any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." That is such a great verse, spoken often from pulpits across the world. And it was proved to me to be living and active as I read the next verse and was pierced with a knowledge that I sometimes try to suppress.

Hebrews 4:13 says, "And no creature is hidden from His sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account." That gets a whew! Naked and exposed! Give an account! Those are hard - but true - words just as those in the previous verse. Unfortunately, we don't hear too much preaching on that. Maybe we need more.

The knowledge that God KNOWS everything about me including my thoughts and "secret" sins - the anger, the unforgiveness, the attitude, and will ask me to account for EVERYTHING should spur me to daily, perhaps hourly would be better, realign myself with Jesus. To take "captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." (2 Corinthians 10:5)

No comments:

Post a Comment