Saturday, July 2, 2011

Wimps

I'm reading through Acts these days and I have decided that modern day Christians, at least in America - and including me, are pretty much wimps. Especially when you think about the suffering and persecution the early church endured and that is endured by countless thousands across the globe today who worship Jesus with the threat of imprisonment, torture or even death hanging over their heads.

It seems we are always praying for God to protect us from the storms of life. When the apostles were threatened by the religious leaders, they didn't pray for protection from the authorities but for boldness to continue to speak. When the apostles were arrested and then miraculously released from prison, they went right back to the temple to teach the people. When the apostles were beaten, they went away rejoicing.

In America we are fortunate to have the freedom to worship Jesus without fear although we are losing our ability to openly speak His name and share His teachings outside the walls of church buildings. Jesus is not a politically correct figure. He says there is right and there is wrong. He says there is absolute truth. He says we will be held accountable for our relationship, or lack of it, with Him. And that is not welcomed in a country where everyone wants to do whatever they please, where we all have "rights".

But that is even more reason to speak the name of Jesus with boldness. The apostles spoke as eyewitnesses to Jesus and His resurrection. Today we speak as witnesses to the life change Jesus makes in our lives individually. All Jesus asks us to do is speak up when He prompts us. But what if "they" think I'm a fanatic. What if "they" won't let their children play with my children anymore. What if I lose my job. What if I go to prison. What if I'm put to death.

I don't face the persecution that many in the world face. I don't want to be a wimp with the life Jesus has given to me. So how hard is it, really, to speak to a neighbor or co-worker when Jesus whispers tell him/her about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment