Saturday, July 16, 2011

Open Letter to My Son

Jeremy,

I was not the best influence for you for many years of your life. My emotional struggles as a single mom led me down paths that I wish I could erase for me and for you but that is not possible. I do ask that you forgive me for all the ways I failed you during some pretty dark days - and nights.

I thank God for the influence of Granddaddy on your life. His gruff exterior covered a heart full of love for you. I am also grateful for Richard and Sharon and the way they took you into their family when you and Andrew became such good friends. They helped you to see what a normal family with a mom and a dad should look like. That you have turned out to be a man who loves and cares for his family is more their influence than mine.

You have overcome many obstacles without a hint of bitterness or anger. You are a man full of grace and forgiveness. I see the love you have for Holly and your children; your patience; your interest in them as individuals; your desire to teach and correct and to be the leader that your family needs. I am grateful that you gave your heart to Jesus years ago and have let Him turn you away from the destructive paths you walked for a few years and back to His paths. "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11

You work so hard to provide for your family plus you are going to school and you are volunteering at church. You and Holly together are striving to teach your children to love Jesus and to provide them opportunities to learn and grow and just have fun. I don't know how you do it all. 

I love you and I am so proud of you.

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment