Monday, July 25, 2011

I Will Go With You

When Jacob (now Israel) was old and feeble, he learned his favorite son, Joseph, was still alive and well and living in Egypt. Not only living there but prospering!

When Joseph was 17 years old, his angry, jealous brothers sold him into slavery. When he was 30, he became second in command with only Pharaoh being greater. Thirteen years is a long time to be a slave, to be in prison, to be forgotten. But what did Joseph say when finally reunited with his brothers? "...for God sent me before you to preserve life. And God sent me before you... So it was not you who sent me here but God." (Genesis 45:5-8)

Joseph sent for his father so he could take care of him during this awful famine. All of this was to fulfill what God told Abram in Genesis 15:13-14. Now as Israel prepares to leave his home, God tells him, "I am God, the God of your father. Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for there I will make you into a great nation. I myself will go down with you to Egypt, and I will also bring you up again." (Genesis 46:3-4)

I wonder where we got the mistaken idea that to be blessed by God means to have life easy. It should be enough to know that God goes with us. Joseph was very aware of God's purpose and presence with him although he was not pleased with his circumstance.

Jacob knew that he was leaving the land that had been promised to Abraham and to Isaac and to him. He must have wondered if he would ever come back to the land of God's promise. So God reminded him that HE is in control. He will go with him - and for Jacob that was enough. He packed his bags and left.

I don't know too many people who like change. Especially when the change is not our idea. And it requires something drastic on our part. But God WILL go with us wherever He sends us. Even if it's not "fun" it WILL be right because God is in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment