Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Good Read

I love reading. Mostly I love reading murder mysteries. Not really gory stuff but stories that have lots of twists and turns and unexpected outcomes. Recently I've found some stories by female authors that have comedic characters and I find myself at times laughing out loud as the "sleuth" tries to figure out what happened. I just love a good read.

So I have started reading in Genesis this week as my Bible study time. It is certainly a good read. It's full of intrigue and drama, spectacular moments with God, the best of human beings and the worst, and lots of thought provoking moments. What makes it so special, though, is it's real, not something made up from human imagination but God's communication to me of His interaction with mankind.

I recently read about Noah and the flood. I wonder what it was like to be shut up in a huge floating zoo for a year with only 8 people. I wonder what it felt like finally to be able to open the door and smell fresh, clean air. I wonder what they thought at being, not only the only 8 people in the ship, but the only 8 people in the world. I wonder what it would be like to live 950 years as Noah did. I wonder if Noah had ever had wine before or if the drunken episode we read about was his first encounter with fruit of the vine. I wonder what it felt like to have his first steak or roast duck. I wonder what it was like to see the first rainbow - and the second. It really is a good read.

The one thing I don't have to wonder about is how Noah felt at being found righteous and selected for salvation from the flood. I, too, have experienced God's grace and mercy and salvation. Although God found no righteousness in me, He gave me the righteousness of His Son so I can walk with Him.

Man, the Bible is not just a good read, it's the BEST read!

No comments:

Post a Comment