Monday, May 2, 2011

Challenge

We are currently in the More series based on Ephesians 3:20Perry's desire is for all of us at NewSpring Church to experience the "more" that God has for us. So Perry issued a challenge to us yesterday after he gave us a little formula: conviction + repentance = breakthrough. He is encouraging us to align ourselves with God; to become true followers of Jesus Christ. His challenge was for each of us to read and pray through Psalm 139:23-24 every day this week.

There are lots of action verbs in this prayer of David. "Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!"

If I ask God to show me my sins, He most certainly will which should lead to conviction - a recognition that God's knowledge of me is correct and my ways are grievous to Him. The result of conviction should be repentance as, by the power of the Holy Spirit, I give up and turn away from sins I am committing OR turn toward things I should be doing. Whether I am doing something He clearly said don't do or I'm NOT doing something He has clearly said He wants me to do, I am living a life of sin.

Too often I want to go along through life just as I always have. But God is able to do MORE than I can think or imagine, according to HIS power that is at work IN me. He wants to do more in me, through me and for me than I can ever imagine. Until I am obedient in this area, God won't move on to that area even though His desire is to do more. But to have the opportunity to do more, I have to ask God to search me, try me, and lead me and when I truly follow, I will have the breakthrough to more.

No comments:

Post a Comment