Monday, May 16, 2011

Stubborn Children

"Ah, stubborn children," declares the Lord, "who carry out a plan, but not Mine, and who make an alliance, but not of My Spirit, that they may add sin to sin, who set out to go down to Egypt, without asking for My direction" Isaiah 30:1-2

How like the Israelites of old are many of us Christians today! We are often stubborn children who go our own way without seeking God's direction for the decisions of life.

Now I may be wrong but I don't think God wants to micromanage my life by expecting me to ask Him what to wear today or what kind of coffee to buy or even which restaurant to choose for lunch. But I do believe that if I am in a constant awareness of His presence, the thoughts that come to me about the little things of life probably are His direction and may even lead to divine appointments.

Some things I just know to do - or not do - from reading God's word. I already know how He expects me to respond in a particular situation because His word is clear about what He expects about my relationships with the opposite sex and people in general and money and my time - that sort of thing.

Even in the big decision, God has given some pretty clear instructions. The kind of car I buy is dictated by God's teaching on money and my attitude (pride, lust, greed) about why I want a particular car. But I have been a stubborn child at times who made plans, spent money, did something that went against God's principles or later realized if I had just asked God first, He probably would have said NO! and saved me a lot of trouble because Father knows best - always!

And stubborn children have to be disciplined to bring them into alignment with the house rules. Father's who love their children will try to teach them right thinking and right behavior. God's discipline is always out of love and should bring godly sorrow, repentance and righteousness. The older I get, however, the more I'm learning it's better not to be a stubborn child in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment