Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Enemies

As I read through the Psalms, there is a lot of talk about enemies...the enemies of David or the enemies of Israel. For a long time I would sort of skip over the part about enemies thinking I don't have any real enemies. Not any people telling lies about me or trying to destroy me or coming at me with spears.

But then one day something clicked (don't you like it when God reveals something new to ya!) and I thought I DO have an enemy who is in fact telling lies about me and trying to destroy me and sends flaming arrows my way. His name is Satan or the devil or the evil one.

God tells me that Satan is a liar and the accuser of Christ followers. He also tells me Satan is like a roaring lion seeking whom he may destroy. This evil one also slings flaming darts at me.

So now when I read the Psalms I don't skim or skip over all the "beat up the enemy" stuff. Unlike David or the Israelites who were waiting on God to rout their enemies, God has already done that for me. I can read these passages knowing that my God has rescued me. His strength is sufficient. I am not waiting for some future event because my rescue has already occurred. Now I say thank You, Jesus, that You have already fought these battles for me. You have already defeated my greatest enemy. I am already victorious and do not have to fear the enemy because he has NO power over me.

No comments:

Post a Comment