Monday, May 23, 2011

When Tough Times Come

Isaiah 43 is full of important truths about God and my relationship with Him. I could read this chapter over and over again. But this morning I was again reminded that tough times come to all of us.

In verses 2 & 3 God says "WHEN you pass through the waters...WHEN you walk through fire..." There is not an IF here. It is pretty much guaranteed that at some point in our lives we will face a situation that seems overwhelming. It may be the death of someone near and dear to us, a critical illness - maybe even a terminal illness, perhaps a wayward child or an unfaithful spouse, a job loss, bankruptcy, a natural disaster that destroys all our earthly possessions. Something will come along that knocks us for a loop.

So how do I cope when those tough times come? By remembering that God said, "I will be with you, they shall not overwhelm you...you shall not be burned."

But first I have to have an ongoing relationship with God through faith in His Son, Jesus Christ. Then I will have the power of the Holy Spirit residing within me. (Ezekiel 11:19, John 6:63, John 14:26, Romans 15:13)  I also need to know who God says He is and what He says He will do in order to believe that He will do what He says He will do. That only comes through immersing myself in His word over and over again.

I should not just call on God when I'm in turmoil and expect Him to jump at my command. I need to be in a loving, worshiping relationship with Him day by day by day. Then I can call on Him and know that "...in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." John 16:33

No comments:

Post a Comment