Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day

We had a great day at NewSpring yesterday. In years past we have given away houses and cars and college scholarships to single moms of all ages and life situations. This year was different.

This year Perry wanted to honor his mom. She died of cancer when he was 12 but believes that her prayers and her influence are part of the reason he is following Jesus and leading a great church today. (He even wore a suit and tie and preached from her "King Jimmy" Bible.)

I can certainly identify with that. I wandered in the desert as a prodigal for 18 long years. My mom always prayed for me - and told me so. But I was running so hard from God that I would tell her not to waste her time. How grateful I am that she didn't listen to me. I am absolutely convinced that the prayers of my mom played a huge roll in my eventual repentance and surrender to Jesus as Lord.

Now my own son, who followed in my footsteps as a prodigal, is on his journey with Jesus. I have prayed for him over the years and now I pray that his children will not take the path of rebellion but will always walk with Jesus.

My family, including extended family, had a long history of walking with God - until I came along. I want this cycle to come to an end. I started it and Jeremy followed it but Nate and Arabella don't have to. I pray for them to walk faithfully with Jesus, to confess and repent of their sins promptly, to do the right thing even when it is hard, to maintain their sexual purity, to grow in favor with God and man.

No comments:

Post a Comment