Thursday, May 26, 2011

Do I Trust God?

"When I am afraid, I put my trust in You. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid." Psalm 56:3-4

Can I honestly say I trust God? It's easy to trust when life is good. But what about when life is falling apart; when life no longer seems to make sense?

When I lose my job. When my spouse leaves. When my mom dies. When my child gets arrested. When the doctor says "cancer". When a lie is told about me. When a friend repeats a confidence. When someone takes credit for something I did or places blame for something I didn't do.

In all the circumstances of life, I must trust God. That does not mean that my circumstances will suddenly get better. It doesn't mean all my problems will disappear. It doesn't mean life will be all sweetness and light.

It does mean that God will never leave me. It does means that I can have peace in the midst of turmoil. It does mean that I will grow in my faith. It does mean that I will learn obedience through the suffering. It does mean I don't have to be afraid of what tomorrow might bring.

I don't know many people today, including me, who "consider it pure joy" when tough times come as James said. Or who recognize that the "thorn in my flesh" is there to make me more like Christ in humbleness. But if I really believe God loves me; if I really believe God works in every situation for His glory and my best; if I really believe my home is not here on earth but in heaven with my true Father, maybe I COULD face anything with joy and thankfulness.

My pastor often says something like if you can trust God with your eternity, surely you can trust him with your here and now - with my health and finances and relationships and all the days I have left on this planet. We are told repeatedly in Matthew 6 not to worry. Easier said than done but when done, oh what peace floods my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment