Saturday, May 14, 2011

How Honest Is My Worship?

A few weeks ago I was having a Wednesday night ride home from FUSE conversation with my grandson. He was excited about the music and the message of the evening. One thing led to another and we began to talk about worship.

I asked him if he knew why people raise their hands in worship - usually music but also in prayer. He said he didn't have any idea. So I raised both my hands and said if you saw someone not in church do this what would you think. He said, "Surrender...Oh!" So we talked about complete surrender to Christ as true worship.

Today as I was reading in Isaiah 29, I was made to think again about true worship. Do I just go through the motions or is my heart really surrendered? Does my lifestyle line up with biblical teachings or am I a "secret" sinner? Am I putting on a show for man or do I deeply love - and submit to - the Lord?

It is always good to take stock of where I am with Jesus. It is so easy to get into habits of action that they no longer have any heart or meaning to them. I don't want Bible reading to be habit I must complete each day like taking a vitamin or going for a walk. I want my heart to long to be in God's presence.

I don't want going to church to be the right thing to do on Sunday. I want to go to submit myself to the authority of the Church and to Jesus through the teaching and preaching of God's word.

I don't want music to become my only form of worship or raising my hands a sign of my spirituality but an opportunity for me to affirm to God and to myself that the words being sung are part of my heart and my deepest beliefs.

I don't want to worship just on Sunday at church but through every aspect of my life, every day of the week. I want to be a true worshiper!

No comments:

Post a Comment