Friday, June 17, 2011

Enough Already

I am so tired of hearing about now former congressman Anthony Weiner. He resigned yesterday after a series of inappropriate text messages to 6 or 7 women. He said "I apologize", which is not the same as "I was wrong, please forgive me" (or even better, "I have sinned"), as he resigned. So now I say, let it go.

I guess old Arnold Schwarzenegger is glad Weiner came along. Seems to have made everyone forget about his infidelity and marriage problems. Today the news is more like a soap opera. I can remember a time when I would occasionally watch soaps. You could watch one day and then come back a month later and it was the same stuff - you hadn't missed much. What did Solomon say? "There's nothing new under the sun."

I wonder why the "news" is so filled with the lurid details of people's downfalls. What makes these stories the top item for so many days? Is it really news? Is it the public's right to know? I think we enjoy pointing fingers and talking about how bad someone else is so we don't have to think about how bad we are.

Oh, but I would never do what they did! Maybe not. But we are all sinners. We might not be well known enough for our sins to be plastered all over the TV but they were plastered all over Jesus Christ. Our sins might not be "big" enough to garner any attention but they drove nails into Jesus' hands and feet.

These guys are public figures so they should expect public scrutiny. There are, and should be, consequences for their behavior. But the time comes when enough is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment