Monday, June 20, 2011

Have Mercy, O God

This morning as I was praying I asked God to have mercy on our country. I'd just turned off the news after seeing stories about fires in Arizona and Texas, floods where the Missouri River has broken through the levee, drought in South Georgia. And of course the destructive tornadoes of last month are still fresh on my mind.

But then I thought why should God have mercy on us as a nation? All those disasters cause talk of mother nature by every reporter. Every time I hear that when I'm around my grandchildren I remind them there is no mother nature only Father God. NBC, during the US Open golf championship yesterday, aired a patriotic tribute with kids saying the Pledge of Allegiance and conveniently cut out "under God, indivisible" from the pledge, not once but twice! You can see the You Tube video here. I also heard that New York is poised to become the 6th state to allow same sex marriages.

No wonder our country seems not to be blessed. However, I am so grateful that God IS blessing His Church and specifically NewSpring. Many are coming to faith in Jesus Christ. People are giving generously, volunteering joyfully, inviting friends faithfully, living out the core values we are taught. And it's not just NewSpring but other churches around the country who are faithfully preaching the Gospel are seeing Jesus Christ work in amazing ways.

Perhaps we need things to get really bad before most will understand that they can not put their faith in money or government or rights. It breaks my heart to see our country continually pushing God out but what I know is that He is STILL in control. No matter how hard we push. No matter what laws may be passed. No matter how far down we go. God is ALWAYS in control and there is always hope, there is always Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment