Friday, June 17, 2011

Preventive Maintenance

Today I had work done on my car. I have 90k miles on it and hope to drive it another 90k miles so I took it in for some preventive maintenance. Timing belt, water pump, fuel filter, check all the hoses and belts and fluids, repair a door lock. It was rather expensive but necessary if I want to keep my car in good shape.

As I thought about the car I also thought about my life - keeping it in good shape. I have to admit I don't do much preventive maintenance for my body with diet and exercise. But my doctor says I have good genes.

I also need preventive maintenance for my soul. Surrendering to Christ is just the beginning of the journey. I don't want to stumble. I don't want to fall. I don't want to miss the "well done!" If I want to finish well, I need to maintain my relationship with Jesus over the long haul. So I read my Bible regularly. I go to church weekly. I work to take my thoughts captive to Christ. I confess my sins. I worship God wherever I am - and not just on Sunday. I seek to walk in obedience so that my faith is strengthened.

It's so easy to slip away from the high calling of God. So easy to become entangled in the thought patterns of the world. So easy to become complacent in my relationship with God. So easy to let something go that really needs to be done to maintain a right relationship with Christ.

"Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of His glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen." Jude 24-25

No comments:

Post a Comment