Wednesday, June 15, 2011

No Retirement

I am semi-retired these days. I was fully retired until gas prices began to soar so I went back to work part time. But even in my full retirement, I immediately began to volunteer my time and abilities to my church and to Mobile Meals.

I was already volunteering at church on Sunday as part of the production team and the prayer team. Now I am part of the care team as well doing week day follow up for people who contact the church for prayer or resources. I knew before I retired that I needed to do something useful so I didn't wait long to get started.

The thing is I could be perfectly content to sit in my chair and read books all day and play on the computer and talk to my cat and probably have very little interaction with people on a regular basis. I am perfectly content to be alone. I am content to eat alone and travel alone and go to the movies alone or just stay home alone. But I know that is not good for me - or for anyone. God made us for community.

Granted I do want to be with my grandchildren. I enjoy interacting with them and helping them grow in their relationship with Jesus. Nate and I will be going for a late lunch/early supper in about an hour before we head to Greenville for him to participate in FUSE.

God teaches that we are to be about His work even into our old age. Psalm 71:18 says, "So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim Your might to another generation, Your power to all those to come."


So even though I may be retired from gainful employment, I will never retire from serving God and serving others as long as God allows me the mental capacity to do so. Physical capacity doesn't matter because even from a wheelchair or a hospital bed, prayers of intercession can be offered on behalf of others. So no retirement for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment