Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Eternity

I wish I had a sharper mind, or maybe a deeper mind. I read things in Scripture and sometimes I just can't get my mind around it. One of those things is eternity.

Although I believe it, I just can't quite grasp that God is. Just is - always in the present. Before there was time God is there."In the beginning God..." (Genesis 1:1) After time ends, God is there. "And He said to me, 'It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end.'" (Revelation 21:6)

And He is omniscient so He is the only real "know it all". He IS the beginning and the end so He sees it all. We often can't see beyond today. Especially when we are in a pit of despair for some reason. That is even more reason to surrender daily to Jesus as Lord. We don't know what tomorrow holds but Jesus does. He has promised to work all the circumstances of our lives - good and bad - into something that is for our ultimate good and for His glory. "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those called according to His purpose. For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son..." (Romans 8:28-29)

My brother, David, was one who really believed this. I was the black sheep of the family, my brother the "good" guy. But David was the one who got sick and suffered physically for 20+ years, As he was dying we were talking one day and I expressed my doubts about why David had to suffer and not me. I DESERVED to be sick and dying. I was the one who had told God to go away and leave me alone. (Thank you, Jesus, for not doing that!) David said maybe it was just that God knew he could handle it. And he did with much grace. He glorified God in all he did. He never complained. He never doubted God's love. He never gave up. He kept serving and giving and worshiping God every day. Hundreds came to his funeral and several met Jesus there. So even in death he was glorifying God.

One great thing to me about eternity is I will be united with my brother and Mama and Daddy who have all gone before me to be with Jesus. And we will worship Jesus forever. "But nothing unclean will ever enter it...but only those who are written in the Lamb's book of life. And night will be no more. They will need  no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever." (Revelation 21:27, 22:5)

No comments:

Post a Comment