Saturday, June 18, 2011

Tough Times

Christians are known to occasionally question why the rich seem to get richer and the poor, poorer. Why those who don't acknowledge Jesus Christ - or even God in general - seem to prosper while those who strive to live for Jesus seem to struggle.

This is not a new problem, not new a thought. "But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled, my steps had nearly slipped. For I was envious of the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. They are not in trouble as others are; they are not stricken like the rest of mankind." Psalm 73:3,5

Too often we have the mistaken view that surrendering to Christ should turn earth into heaven, but it doesn't. James tells us to "count it pure joy" when the tough times come because it brings opportunity for our faith to be tested and thus to persevere. Jesus tell us "in this world you will have trouble". Why do we believe Him when He says He is our only Savior but don't believe Him when He says life will be tough?

Christ followers will lose their jobs and get cancer and have wayward children. We are not immune to the trials the rest of the world faces. But how we face them - count it pure joy - can be a strong testimony to those around us of the presence of Jesus in our lives. Jesus said we would have trouble in this world but also that we can have peace in Him. Paul reminds us of that in Philippians 4:6-7. "Do not be anxious...the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

We have a choice when the tough times come - we can get angry with Jesus or trust Him completely. The Psalmist said, "When my soul was embittered, when I was pricked in heart, I was brutish and ignorant; I was like a beast toward You." but then "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:21-22,26

No comments:

Post a Comment