Thursday, June 9, 2011

To Die Is Gain

At FUSE, the current sermon series is Psalm 23. Last night on the way home Nate was memorizing this Psalm. I just love it that he is encouraged to memorize scripture and to apply it to his life.

I don't remember what brought it up but on the way to FUSE the subject of dying came up. We talked about how no one wants to die. As people we always have dreams for the future, things we want to do, places we want to go. But we don't have to be afraid of dying because it will actually be better and we won't miss the stuff we didn't get to do.

Then when Nate was repeating Psalm 23 out loud in the car going home, we were able to talk more about not fearing death because "You are with me."

This morning I read Paul's letter to the Philippians. In 1:21 he states, "...to die is gain." But he prefaces that with "to live is Christ." I love the consistency of the Bible. David states he has no fear of the shadow of death because God is with him. Paul says to die is gain because Jesus Christ is not just an integral part of his life but IS his life. Both these men could make these bold statements because they had surrendered their lives to Jesus.

I want to be around for a long time so I can see Nate and Bella grow up. I look forward to taking Bella to FUSE one day and talking to her about the things of God as I do with Nate now. I look forward to what God is going to do in both their lives; to see Nate grown and serving God and perhaps raising a son of his own. To see Bella grow into the beautiful princess of the King of kings. To see her serve Jesus and perhaps a loving husband and family.

But despite all I want to do, to die is truly gain because I know Christ. To finally be in the presence of God for all eternity; to be done with the struggles of life and to just worship Jesus forever...how could that not be considered gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment