Saturday, June 11, 2011

Thankfulness in Every Situation

This morning I got up and noticed it had rained overnight. So I said a great big Thank You! to God because I have been praying for rain.

I recently went back to work 8 hours a week and said a big Thank You! to God because I'd taken my need for extra income - gas prices, you know -  to Him in prayer. I didn't want to go back to work. I actually asked God if He would allow me to spend $1 on a lottery ticket and make it pay off. (I know God doesn't do that but I share all my thoughts with Him - out loud.) The next day I had an email from a former client asking me to come work for him. So I thanked God for the job and the extra money.

Those are easy thank you's. But in Philippians 4:6 Paul writes, "...do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Thanksgiving in EVERY situation, God?! Now that is definitely NOT easy!

Does He expect me to be thankful for the illness or the job loss or the divorce? That seems rather cruel and God is love so that can't be it. Although we may at some point be thankful for the painful situation, when we are in the midst of it we just can't be. But we can always express thankfulness to God that He is in control. Thankfulness that His love endures forever. Thankfulness that He walks with us through the hard times. Thankfulness that He knows how and when this pain will go away. Thankfulness that He sees a bigger picture than we do. Thankfulness that He never leaves us.

Being thankful definitely brings me closer to God and allows my faith to grow. And it must really please the heart of God because when I do this "The peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7 This situation becomes manageable because God pours out His peace on my heart and mind so that I can get through EVERY situation no matter how painful or scary or hard. HE will see me through! And THAT deserves a big Thank You! to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment