Thursday, August 11, 2011

Desires of Your Heart

At times I've heard people comment I prayed about something and it didn't happen. Didn't God say He would give me the desires of my heart? 

Hmmm...did He say that? Well, yes He did but there is a qualifier. The verse is Psalm 37:4, "Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." Sometimes the attitude seems to be I gave my heart to Jesus now He MUST give me what I want. No! I must DELIGHT in the Lord. What does that mean?

It means Jesus needs to be enough; salvation needs to be enough. It means I want to know more and more about Jesus. It means I will spend time with Him every day. It means I will focus on what He wants for my life rather than what I think I want for my life. 

James said it this way, "You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions." James 4:3. God does delight in giving His children good gifts but more than anything He wants our hearts to be His. When we delight ourselves in Him, the desires of our hearts become His desires for us and He graciously gives us all we desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment