Friday, August 5, 2011

Faith

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1

This week my friend Patti Bailey died from the cancer that was diagnosed just a few months ago. I last spoke to her about 2 weeks ago. She was weak because she had just completed her first round chemo after a full series of radiation treatments but was still upbeat and expecting this treatment to provide a cure for her cancer. So to say I was shocked to get the call that she had died is an understatement.

However, because of the faith Patti had - and I share with her - she IS cured and in the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ at this moment. Paul said, "for we walk by faith, not sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord." 2 Corinthians 5:7-8

So now Patti is at home with the Lord. She no longer suffers the pains of illness. She no longer wonders what it is like to see Jesus. She no longer ponders eternity; she is there. Do I have any actual proof? No, but I do have faith. And because of my faith, I believe even when I can not prove something is true. "And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who seek Him." Hebrews 11:6  Patti has been rewarded with a home in heaven.

Do I believe I will see Patti again? Absolutely! And not only Patti but my mom and dad and brother and other family and friends who have gone before and are in the presence of Christ because they confessed Him as Lord. "If you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9

No comments:

Post a Comment