Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Rock n Roll Church

Today at Mobile Meals in Spartanburg I ran into a husband/wife delivery team who go to the church my parents attended and where I grew up and met Jesus. They are probably in their mid 80's.

We had not seen each other since funerals for my immediate family, the last one being 2006, so we talked a little bit and I had opportunity to tell them where I now go to church. The man, Billy, said he hoped it was not a rock and roll church. And I said, actually it is.

He leaned over and said I know a couple of people who probably would not be happy, one being your daddy. I said as respectfully and lovingly as I could that now that daddy is in heaven he would be thrilled that I am part of a church that is making heaven more crowded.

I am now 63 and I do not want to do "church" the same way I did when I was growing up. It was fine for the 1950's but it will not reach many of this generation or the next. The gospel message NEVER changes but our methods for delivering that message should change to reach a city full of dying people. I have never experienced a move of God like I have since being part of NewSpring. Thousands of people are being told every week of the loving sacrifice of Jesus and scores are accepting that message as Truth, confessing and repenting of sins and surrendering their lives to Jesus.

The service each week in NOT about me and my preferences but about Jesus and having a place where people look forward to bringing their non believing family, co-workers and neighbors, knowing they will enjoy the experience as well as hear about the saving grace of Jesus. Pastor P often says, Jesus was not boring and His church should not be either. To which I say, AMEN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment