Saturday, August 13, 2011

Fails to Do Right

"So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin." James 4:17

Too much of the time we focus on the sins we commit. Or we pat ourselves on the back because we don't do THAT - whatever "that" is. But we need always to remember that failure to do what Jesus has told us to do is sin. Disobedience can be as much what we DON'T do right as it is what we DO do wrong.

Maybe Jesus is telling me to speak to that person about Him. Or to stop to help the old woman with the broken down car. Or to get out of that relationship. Or to lead a Bible study group. Or to move. Or to downsize my house or car. Or to start giving more money to His Church. Or to volunteer with the homeless or helpless or hungry. Or to pray more for my pastor. Or to work harder to make my marriage grow better with the passing years.

Jesus is always speaking to His children through the Holy Spirit that indwells us. Am I listening? Am I obeying? Or am I making excuses why I can't? What my friend is hearing from God and is enthusiastic about may not be what He wants ME to do. I need to be in tune with God to hear what I should do. Jesus will not ask anyone to do anything that He will not empower them to do. But He does ask us to do things we think are impossible so that He can be glorified.

So turn off the music, the computer, the radio, leave Facebook and twitter for few hours and pick up the Bible and read. Take time to ask God what He would have YOU do - then listen to His answer and just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment