Monday, August 15, 2011

A Life of Ease

I don't know where followers of Jesus Christ get the idea that following Him means life will be easy. Maybe it's the televangelists, I don't know. Following Jesus means listening to His voice and doing what He says. But doing what He says does not always lead to a life of ease or comfort.

When Moses was called by God to go to Pharaoh to secure the release of the Israelites, He did what God asked him to do. The result? Pharaoh made the work harder for the Israelites, calling them lazy, which made the Israelites angry at Moses. (Exodus 5)

Then the plagues start and all indication is that the first three affected the Israelites as well as the Egyptians because it is not until the 4th plague that God says He will make a difference between the Egyptians and the Israelites. (Exodus 8:22-23) And He makes this separation, "that you may know that I am the Lord."

Things do not always go well for us when we do what Jesus asks. But it will always be right. It's a lot easier to manifest the fruit of the Spirit when there is no adversity, no difficult people, no trying circumstances but perhaps He is calling me to be His witness of love and grace and mercy and perseverance and hope and joy to those around me, despite my circumstances. Maybe that is why He doesn't give me a new job. Or why I have a contentious neighbor. Or why I'm "stuck" where I am.

He is more than my Savior, He is LORD. So...am I a believer or doubter; worshiper or complainer; obedient or disobedient? My actions, my thoughts, my response to my circumstances SHOW my answer to those questions to the world. Which leads me to ask do my Sunday and my Monday answer the same way?

No comments:

Post a Comment