Monday, August 8, 2011

Trials

"Consider it wholly joyful, my brethren, when you are enveloped in or encounter trials of any sort..." James 1:2

Enveloped in trials of any sort. That sounds painful. That sounds overwhelming. And I do not know many who consider trials joyfully. Our first response is usually how do I get out of this or how do I make it go away or how do I solve this problem. That's because we look at our problems (our trials) from our perspective. We are hurting or afraid or discouraged or sad because we are in the midst of something we really can't do anything about.

But that just may be God's sole purpose in having us there in the first place...for us to give up control, to realize that we can do nothing, to make us rely on Jesus rather than ourselves. "Be assured and understand that the trial and proving of your faith bring out endurance and steadfastness and patience. But let endurance and steadfastness and patience have full play and do a thorough work, that you may be [people] perfectly and fully developed [with no defects], lacking in nothing." James 1:3-4

The trials of life are meant to give me an unwavering faith in God. A faith that KNOWS He is watching over me. He is still my Father. He still loves me. He still cares for me. He wants me to have no holes in my faith, no doubts. He wants me to be perfectly and fully developed to the image of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment