Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Good Works

"For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead." James 2:26

Over the years as I've talked with people about what happens after you die, just about everyone believes there is Heaven and not many want to actually think there is Hell. If I ask why would God admit you to Heaven, I get a multitude of "good works" answers, even from many professing to be Christian. I read my Bible, I go to church, I pray - from those who are "Christian" or I take care of the earth, I help build houses for the poor, I try to do the right thing, from those who are not.

It's often hard to get the name of Jesus out of people. Why? Because they have not experienced the saving grace, the amazing mercy, the undeniable change that comes from repenting of sin and surrendering to Jesus as Lord and Savior. The Bible is very clear that we are not saved by our good works but by believing in Jesus Christ. (John 3:16, John 1:12, Mark 1:15, Luke 8:12, John 6:40Ephesians 3:8-9, John 14:6)

But as James says in the passage above, Jesus gave us the example as he washed the disciples' feet. (John 13:1-17) He instructed us to serve people to show how much we love Him. His love for us overflows in our love for others so that the Father might be glorified. We don't go around doing a bunch of stuff so God will take notice of us but so others will take notice of God which means we must also speak up about why we do what we do. Never be ashamed to speak the name of Jesus and give Him the credit for who you are and what you are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment