Thursday, February 5, 2009

Convenience

Tonight I actually cooked dinner for a change and it was very good. But because I am single and often in a rush and not always home at mealtime, I have a tendency to eat fast food or to buy convenience food at the grocery. I'm not so into convenience that I buy my eggs already boiled and peeled but they are there in the store for purchase. I do buy already diced potatoes and onions. Mary B or Miss Sue or whatever her name is makes much better biscuits than I do so I buy hers in the freezer section and whole baked chickens from the deli and already peeled and sliced fruit from the produce section.

Is there anything wrong with this? No, it really fills a need for the woman (or man) on the go who doesn't have time to peel and chop and mix and bake. Only problem comes when I want convenience in EVERY area of life. You know, take a pill to lose weight. No cutting back on food or participating in any exercise...just pop a pill.

That can also carry over to my spiritual life. Maybe I don't want to wrestle with God over the issues I'm dealing with or for my lost family or friends. Maybe I don't want to dig into God's word to discover His truth to live by. Maybe I just want to show up at church once a week and think that's all I need. For me that is NOT all I need and I do put aside time just about every day to spend time reading God's word and praying for my family, my friends, my church, those who are far from God, the president and anyone else that comes to mind.

I think we, as a people, as a culture, have it too easy sometimes. Flip a switch and we have light or heat. Quick stop at the store and we have dinner. Turn on the TV or the computer and we are connected to people and events around the world. I like the convenience that being American in the 21st century provides. But I also want to be sure that I understand that some things are worth whatever effort it takes to achieve them. The most important of those for me is my relationship with the living God through His son Jesus Christ. Like any relationship, it takes time and commitment. No convenience shopping for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment