Tuesday, February 24, 2009

To Know that I Am God

Long years ago there was a king in Israel named Ahab who was married to a woman named Jezebel. These two were not nice people. In 1 Kings 16, twice God said how evil Ahab was...more than all the kings before him.

And Jezebel...even today the name is used as a derogatory name for any woman who is considered mean and evil. She was so out of God's favor that He said she would be killed and left in the streets to be eaten by dogs.

But in the midst of all this, God chose to give Ahab victory over his enemies, not because he wanted Ahab to feel good about himself but so "you will know that I am the Lord." God is always pursuing us. God did this to help Ahab understand who He is. God also wants me to know Him and to recognize my need for a Savior.

I am not evil like Ahab or Jezebel but I am evil because I am a sinner, unholy, unrighteous and God is holy and righteous. I don't compare myself to Ahab or Jezebel but to God. God pursued me to the point of giving His son to die in my place to pay for my sins, to make me holy and righteous. That thought just overwhelms me. "To know that I am God" means He must come first in EVERYTHING - my relationships, my money, my actions, my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment