Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Crossing the Jordan

As Joshua led the people of Israel in the conquest of the Promised Land, one of the things they had to do was cross the Jordan River. God told the priests to take the ark and head for the river. When the feet of the priests went into the water, then God would stop it from flowing. There is an aside, a parenthesis, that the Jordan overflows its banks during the harvest. So I can surmise that this was no calm, slow moving creek or stream but an actual river at flood stage.

Joshua, the priests and the people were obedient so they went across the Jordan and proceeded to defeat 32 kings and take possession of their lands. Do I have the faith to cross my Jordans? When God says Go, do I? Do I expect God to make every thing clear and take away every obstacle before I am willing to venture out? God didn't work that way with the Israelites and I doubt He will work that way with me.

God will not ask me to do anything that He will not equip me to do. He will not ask me to go anyplace that He will not go with me. But that doesn't mean it will always be easy or safe but God expects me to be obedient anyway...all so He gets the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment