Monday, February 9, 2009

Sacrifice vs Obedience

Some things I read in the Bible are just hard to grasp. One of those is God telling Israel to kill all the men, women, children, infants, sheep, oxen, camels, etc when they fought against their enemies. God had given the command over and over since the time of Moses - do not let the people live, do not marry them, do not worship their gods. God knew that these evil people who burned their children alive as sacrifice to their gods would turn the hearts of the Israelites away from Him. God also knew that those left alive would one day seek revenge on those who had taken their families and land and livestock. Many a battle has been fought over lesser things.

God actually took the kingdom away from King Saul because he did not kill Agag, king of the Amalekites and because he kept the best of the livestock. Saul's problem was he claimed he had obeyed when he actually had not. When he was caught with the king and the animals, he blamed the people for taking them and in a way blamed God. Saul claimed they kept them so they could offer sacrifices to God.

God's response was swift and one I need always to remember: "Has the Lord as much delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed better than the fat of rams." (1 Samuel 15:22)

Maybe today I don't offer burnt offerings but I do offer my time and money and energy and talent. Do I sometimes think just doing or giving is better than having a heart fully devoted to God? Is doing better than obeying a word He speaks into my heart? God says NO! He wants my obedience in ALL things more than he wants my service in anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment