Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Next Generation

As I was reading in the book of Judges, after Joshua died and the leaders after him died, a new generation came along that didn't know the Lord or the works He had done for Israel.

Hmmm...sounds like somebody dropped the ball in teaching their little ones about the faithfulness of God. Makes me contemplate whether or not I am doing a good job of talking to my grandchildren about God's faithfulness in my life - and theirs. As we look at the stars or a sunset or a rainbow, do I talk to them about the creativeness of our God, the majesty of His creation? Do I help them to understand why we worship God and do not worship the things He has made? Do I help them learn that everything we have, home, health, food, jobs, even our stuff is because of the blessing of God. This is my responsibility, the responsibility of the family, not the church.

When the children of Israel forgot about the Lord, they began to worship false gods and God allowed them to become slaves to various people. When they would cry out in their bondage and suffering, God always came through to rescue them. For many years they would live in peace, then they would abandon the Lord again and the cycle would be repeated. I don't want that for my generation, or the next, although we may be in the beginnings of that type of cycle now. Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment