Sunday, February 8, 2009

Reading God's Word

I love to read. I have 100's of books...novels, history, Christian living, devotionals...all sorts of things. Lately, though, I've been reading the Bible more than anything. I have 8 different translations of the Bible with an additional 2 or 3 different New Testament translations. Over the years I have read the Bible through in 5 or 6 of these translations. I'm reading the English Standard Version now. It's a more literal word for word translation and a little tougher to understand at times.

I'm currently reading in First Samuel. Some verses that really made me think are 1 Samuel 1:11,20,22; 2:2. In these verses Hannah made a vow to the Lord. If He would grant her a son, she would give him back to the Lord. God did give her a son and she did give him back to the Lord - taking Samuel to the temple to live as soon as he was weaned. Have I ever made a vow to God - do this thing for me and I will...? Ecclesiastes 5:5 says it is better not to vow than to vow and not pay.

In 1 Samuel 2:12, Eli's sons are called worthless men; they did not know the Lord. What difference did this make? They were the priests! Only God sees men's hearts and only God truly knows who is His, but I should never make assumptions that because someone is in church, even actively serving that he/she knows God. I have a responsibility to initiate conversations about my relationship with Jesus so that people will talk about their relationship - or recognize that they don't have one.

"...for those who honor me I will honor..." 1 Samuel 2:30. God is speaking in the context of Eli's worthless sons and His stripping of the priesthood from Eli's family. But I think this also speaks to those who are Christ followers. If we attempt to make a name for ourselves, God will not honor that. We do not honor ourselves by our service or our piety or our worship. ALL THE HONOR belongs to God and He will honor those He chooses.

No comments:

Post a Comment