Monday, February 23, 2009

Worship Idols...Me?

After God led the children of Israel out of Egypt and into the promised land, they decided they wanted a king like all the nations around them. They rejected God and His leadership for a human king. The first king was Saul, then David and Solomon. After that things really went downhill.

The kingdom divided into Judah and Israel. These relatives who had been through so much together began to fight each other rather than their enemies. Lots of kings came along and for most of them the epitaph was "he did evil in the eyes of the Lord." They made images of silver and gold and wood. They sacrificed their children by burning them alive. They had male and female cult prostitutes. They had "priests" who were not from the priestly line appointed by God.

As I read about these incidents, I thought how could they forget all that God had done? How could they worship idols made by man? Then I recognize myself. Sure, I don't have little Buddhas or other figurines or visit prostitutes or sacrifice my children. But how many times have I sat in front of the TV when I knew I should be diving into God's word? How often have I taken the word of a friend over the word of God when I needed to make a decision? How many times have I forgotten what God has done for me? How often do I dwell on past sins when I know God has forgiven me? How many times have I cheated God - and myself - with false worship? How many times have I done evil in the eyes of the Lord?

Hopefully, those times have been in the minority and mostly in the past because God makes all things new...including me...day by day!

No comments:

Post a Comment