Friday, February 13, 2009

Lord You Are...

There's a chorus from the 80's that's been running through my head lately.
Lord, You are more precious than silver;
Lord, You are more costly than gold;
Lord, You are more beautiful than diamonds;
Nothing I desire compares to You.

I don't know why this chorus surfaced in my brain. Perhaps it's because I have friends who just lost their precious little granddaughter who turned one year old on Christmas day. Earlier this week, the parents found the child dead in her crib when they got up to get ready for the day.

What anguish fills the heart over the loss of a child! I have been praying for these friends of mine. Only Jesus can comfort in a time like this. Only Jesus can give them peace. Only Jesus can dry their tears. Only Jesus can help them sleep at night. This makes no sense to the human mind. Only Jesus knows the answers to the "Why?"

In the Bible we have the story of Job. He was a man blessed by God with children and lots of possessions; he was one of the richest men of his day. In one day, he lost everything including all his children. Job's response was "...the Lord gave and the Lord has taken away, may the name of the Lord be praised."

How difficult that can be; to praise the name of the Lord no matter what. For me, I want nothing more than Jesus. I pray that God fills my heart each day with the desire to know Him more, to follow Him more closely, to do what He says 'cause nothing I desire in this world -and that includes family and friends as well as stuff - can compare with having a deep, personal relationship with Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment