Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Man after God's Heart

God called David a man after His own heart. How did David get the be that close to God? Over and over when he had decisions to make the Bible tells us that David "inquired of the Lord".

David had been told, was actually anointed as the next king of Israel. Saul, the current king, tried for years to kill David. David had to live among his enemies, pretend insanity and fight and fight and fight. One thing he refused to do was hurry his ascension to the throne. Twice he was so close to Saul - and Saul didn't know he was close - that he easily could have killed King Saul, but he didn't. He wanted to wait on God's timing. He didn't want to take matters into his own hands.

How many times do I rush to do something without praying it through, without inquiring of the Lord? How often do I take matters into my own hands rather than giving God time to work everything out His way? My desire is to have a heart like God's and to do that I need to read and study His word and I need to pray fervently for God to show me His plans and His timing for me. Be ready to "jump" as soon as God says jump - just don't do it when I say jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment