Friday, June 11, 2010

Can't Take It with You

I was looking at pictures of the children in the Segera mission area of Kenya. David Lazaro is the young man I have started to support each month. To think that $39 a month can help David realize his ambition to be a doctor is unbelievable to me.

When I see pictures of the stick and mud huts, the dirty, worn clothes, and the SMILES my heart breaks. Having been there and seen for myself and met the people, I am overwhelmed that God has put me in a position to help. I have sooo much! By American standards I'm on the lower end of the totem pole financially but by the world's standards I am RICH!

By God's standard, too, I am rich...and not just financially! But I am a daughter to THE King, the one who owns the cattle on a thousand hills, who says, "the world is mine" so that makes me rich financially too.

Next week I'm sending my grandson to skateboard camp at a cost of $119. He's so excited and I'm glad to give him the opportunity to do something he loves and really wants to do. But that same money would support David, or someone like him, for 3 months with food and school supplies and teachers. I AM rich - to have money to spend on something like learning to ride a skateboard when most of the world would just like something to eat.

I want to make a difference in the lives of people, whether here or in Kenya. God has put me where I am for a reason. He has given me the resources He has for a reason. He has given me the desire "to do" for a reason. I don't want to disappoint Him or me by not being faithful to go where He leads and to spend my money as He directs. Psalm 49:16-17 is another "can't take it with you" message so I will look for opportunities to give as God directs. Nothing is mine anyway!!

No comments:

Post a Comment