Monday, June 7, 2010

Do Not Fret

I was at a cookout Saturday night with a group of church people. One of the guys who had not been there in a long time got all excited - angry even - when one of the ladies made the comment she had read an article that the Tea Party was dangerous. (He didn't know we don't take politics seriously.)  He began to rail against the liberals who are the dangerous ones. He was raising his voice to make his point.

When he stopped his harangue to take a breath, I said I don't much care. My understanding of the Bible is that God puts rulers and authorities over us and my job as a Christ follower is to pray for them. I go out and vote but I don't worry about the outcome. The Bible tells us as the time for Christ to return gets closer, things will get worse and worse in the world. So it really kind of excites me - maybe the Day will come in my lifetime!!

This morning I read Psalm 37:1-3. I don't want to waste my energy fretting over things I ultimately have no control over. God will sort out the "good" and the "evil" and deal with us all as He has ordained. I want to live our verse 3 - "Trust in the Lord and do good, dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness."

No comments:

Post a Comment