Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Praise and Thanksgiving

An acronym I once learned about how to pray is ACTS - adoration (or praise), confession, thanksgiving, and supplication (petitions). Although the sequence is a little different, it is based on the model prayer Jesus taught His disciples.

Too often in my prayer life I forget everything except the supplication. I never forget to ask God for something. Whether it is for me or my family or friends or members of NewSpring, I don't hesitate to ask God for stuff!

Lately I'm trying to focus more on the other aspects of prayer. One of the things I have noticed when I have been involved in corporate prayer, or even conversations, is that most people confuse praise and thanksgiving. We praise God for the new job or house or healing or whatever. But praise is not about what God DOES for us; that is thanksgiving. I am thankful for what God does for those for whom I pray.

Praise is about who God IS. He is praised and adored and worshiped because He is Almighty God; Creator of heaven and earth; holy and righteous; never changing; all powerful (omnipotent); all knowing (omniscient); everywhere present (omnipresent); loving; faithful; Redeemer; Shepherd; King of kings and Lord of lords.

Help me, Lord, to learn to really praise You. I will spend eternity in Your presence and I want to get lots of practice living a life of praise in the here and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment